Aug 5, 2023

ANYONE NOTICED . . .

 . . .  how many 'psychological thrillers with a gut wrenching twist' (*)  feature a female character, usually a police person, who has been blessed with 'red hair and green eyes.'  So many that, IMHO, the red-haired, green-eyed heroine has become a cliché.

With this in mind I did some research and discovered that . . .  Less(**) than 2% of the world's population have 'green eyes,' with aren't green anyway.  They are brown eyes deficient in melatonin. There is no 'green' pigment.  The 'green' tint is produced by internal reflection in the cornea.   Just thought you'd like to know that.  Start a punch-up by commenting below - particularly if you have green eyes and have never featured in an Amazon thriller.

(*) Translation.  'Psychological' means it's about people. 'Thriller' means it usually isn't.  'Gut wrenching' can be substituted by (pick where you like): hair raising, ear splitting, eye popping, jaw dropping, mind boggling, heart stopping, stomach turning, knee trembling, foot tapping, toe curling . . . and that's just for starters.

(**)  'Less' or 'Fewer'?  Which would you vote for?


This post posted in response to Rommy's intriguing prompt on Poets and Storytellers United

13 comments:

  1. Good to see you!!! Personally I love to use "gob-smacking" and less is usually more. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Depending on the sbject type given:
    Examples
    Images
    Books
    Videos
    News
    Shopping
    Maps
    Perspectives
    Flights
    Finance
    All filters
    'Fewer' and 'Less'
    It goes like this: fewer is used to refer to number among things that are counted, as in "fewer choices" and "fewer problems"; less is used to refer to quantity or amount among things that are measured, as in "less time" and "less effort."
    per Meriam-Webster.
    (posted by Dr. Jim
    http://jimmiehov8.blogspot.com/?m=1 )
    ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jim. The example I remember from school was "FEWER (countable) workmen today, so LESS (not countable) concrete." This 'rule' is widely abused today as Britons gradually turn themselves into the worst speakers of English in the world. I wasn't sure (in my post) whether 2% was 'countable or not.

      Delete
  3. Less than 2% are creative nutters like you ! Good to see you again Footsie...You have been missed. Every time I use the word 'flars' I think of you:)Still keeping an eye out for your National Treasure Award....although don't like your chances now with your new King . He's not the type to be impressed with the covering of the PM's residence in black curtains.Chortles and Guffaws!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. And hello again to you, too, Rallentandra, Amazing lack of security at Sunak's residence in North Yorkshire. He's an amazing PM. You can almost see the vanity dripping off him while he explains how he's not as bad as he could be.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry, Call. The above comment as me, Dr.FTSE aka National Treasure No 999. Bit I'm sure you realised or realised that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And apologies, Rall, for calling you 'Call'

      Delete
  6. I do hope my name won't challenge your spelling Doc - though 'Cadd' could 'grow on me', to use a cliché...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have lost your email address. I moderate my comments so you can leave it there (si tu veux ) That is French for you'd better do it or else ! Would be nice to catch up again ! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry. Just for the moment I can't put a face to your anonymousness amongst my thousands of anonymous followers and fans. Buteven though you're reluctant to declare yourself . . . be very sure I love you, yeah!

      Delete
  8. Who knew there were so many anonymous people stalking the hills and dales of Blogland? I keep hoping to come across more of them who are willing to shed their invisibility cloaks... :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I second that, Jinksy. There's altogether too much anonymity about. It's Getting Very Silly . . .

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by. To make life easier for you I have turned off the new indecipherable and time-wasting verification words. Would you care to "feedback" to Blogger and complain about them, like I did?